City of Katy, Texas
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Part-Time Animal Control Officer
at City of Katy, Texas
- Katy, TX, USA
- Part Time
The City of Katy is accepting applications for a part-time Animal Control Officer in our Humane Department, with work primarily on weekends, with occasional weekdays required. An Animal Control Officers responds to and investigates animal related incidents and complaints. Impounds animals and issues citations or warnings as appropriate. Explains and enforces all State and City animal control laws, codes, ordinances, and regulations.
Katy Animal Control works under the authority of the Katy Police Department. A successful background investigation is required as part of the hiring process.
- Investigates reports or complaints of animal nuisances and animal abuse; takes appropriate actions; explains ordinances relating to keeping animals; issues citations and warnings for violations of animal control ordinances.
- Responds to reports of animal bites; quarantines unvaccinated animals; processes and transports specimens to rabies lab.
- Impounds and disposes of animals as appropriate; transports animals to City shelter; participates in caring for shelter animals including but not limited to feeding, medicating, and walking animals, cleaning kennels, and washing equipment.
- May respond to animal control emergencies outside of scheduled working hours.
- Maintains animal control vehicles and equipment.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
High school diploma or equivalent; AND some previous work experience preferred; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Interpreting and applying animal control ordinances, codes, laws, and policies
- Providing basic care to various types of animals
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Utilizing animal control and apprehension equipment including tranquilizers, traps, and restraints
- Communicating clearly, both orally and in writing
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be able to pass Basic Animal Control exam, within one (1) year of hire date
- Valid State driver's license with clear driving history
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Majority of work is performed outdoors, with some work to be performed at the City Animal Shelter. May be subject to dangerous animals, animal bites, and/or scratches; proper safety procedures must be followed including the use of personal protective equipment.