City of Katy, Texas
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Katy, Texas
- Katy, TX, USA
- $32.79 - $35.10
- Full Time
The Katy Fire Department is currently seeking a Fire Inspector/Investigator.
SUMMARY: Assists the Fire Marshal in the day-to-day operation of the Fire Marshal's Office. At the direction of the Fire Marshal, conducts fire inspections, assists with plans reviews, conducts fire and arson investigations as assigned, and presents fire prevention education programs.
- Assists with comprehensive reviews of fire protection plan submittals and reviews of plans pertaining to building construction and/or modification as it relates to fire and life safety.
- Investigate cause of fires and make report of losses, investigate and assist in prosecution of arsonists, investigate complaints and answer questions about fire hazards.
- Observes and witnesses testing of fire protection equipment, systems and components for code compliance.
- Presents fire prevention education and public relation programs.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
Associate degree in Fire Science or related field; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Fire inspection practices, fire and arson investigation procedures, including but not limited to NFPA 921 and 1033.
- Methods of fire prevention and conducting fire safety programs.
- The Incident Command System and National Incident Management System.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Determining cause and origin of fires.
- Interview and investigation procedures related to arson.
- Reading and interpreting plans, diagrams, and code manuals.
- Identifying fire hazards.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Speaking and communicating with all ages of audiences to include school age children.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid State driver's license.
- Arson Investigator certification.
- Fire Inspector certification.
- Texas Peace Officer license/ certification.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) Incident Command System (ICS) 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, and 800.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Works in a climate-controlled office environment but is exposed to weather conditions and hazards associated with structures damaged by fire during investigations. Proper safety procedures must be followed, including the use of personal protective equipment.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: MAY 1, 2019
TESTING DATE: TO BE DETERMINED. Qualified candidates will be contact with invitation to test. Testing will consist of 1 Written Exam, based on material in IFSTA, Fire Inspector and Code Enforcement, 8th Edition and Fire Investigator, 2nd Edition.