City of Katy, Texas
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Building Service Coordinator
at City of Katy, Texas
- Katy, TX, USA
- $22.19 - $27.73
- Full Time
SUMMARY: Plans, organizes and oversees the construction plan submittal, approval, and permit issuance process; provides case management of complex building construction applications and coordinates the provision of efficient and effective service delivery to customers and performs related duties as assigned.
- Oversee the building construction application approval process, plan submittals and plan processing.
- Coordinate the provision of efficient and effective service delivery to customers; handle difficult and complex customer service situations; identify and recommend opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures.
- Ensure timely processing of plans, permits, applications and coordinate the routing and tracking of plans to various departments and outside agencies for required reviews and clearances; perform follow-up phone calls to ensure timeliness of response from other departments and agencies.
- Provide case management of complex building construction applications; confer with project owners and design professionals regarding state and local code requirements.
- Coordinate plan approvals with internal departments and outside agencies including Public Works Department and Fire Department.
- Develop, update and maintain information and pamphlets provided to the public at the front counter and online.
- Attend and participate in professional group meetings; stay abreast of new trends, innovations and law affecting the building plan submittal and approval process.
- Greets and assists customers and residents both in person, at project sites, and over the phone with permitting inquiries. Routes calls to the appropriate person or department; takes detailed messages; responds to inquiries.
- Review permit applications to ensure the plans meet all code regulations prior to approving building permits.
- Assist plan reviewers by organizing and inserting plan revisions into original building plans.
- Relay specifics regarding code, zoning and permit requirements.
- Participates in City-wide emergency response as necessary.
- Perform other duties as required.
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines: High school diploma or equivalent; AND four (4) years of construction experience; OR and equivalent combination of education, training and experience in civil engineering, code compliance, planning, architecture, construction management or a related field.
- Building-related codes and ordinances enforced by the City, including the International Code Council (ICC) building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical codes.
- Methods and practices of all phases of commercial and residential construction.
- Principles and practices of building technology, code regulations, and other related studies.
- General principles and practices of regulatory compliance.
- Methods and techniques of technical research.
- Pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Modern office procedures, methods, computer equipment and related software applications.
- Principles and practices of report preparation.
- Effective oral and written communication methods and skills.
- Responding to and resolving difficult and complex complaints, requests and inquiries from the general public.
- Read and interpret building plans and specifications.
- Interpret and apply building codes and regulations.
- Interpret and apply regulatory code requirements and processes.
- Compile statistics and prepare reports and spreadsheets.
- Explain building or regulatory code to the public, both verbally and in writing.
- Conduct technical research.
- Identify problems and recommend solutions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Operate office equipment including computers and related software applications.
- Maintain accurate electronic and manual records, logs and databases.
- Prepare clear and concise reports and correspondence.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- International Code Council (ICC) Permit Technician Certificate, or the ability to obtain in one year.
- International Building Certificate, or the ability to obtain in one year.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work may be performed in a standard office environment requiring sitting, standing, walking and bending, OR at various inspection sites which requires standing, walking, bending, climbing and lifting a minimum of 10 pounds. May be exposed to some unsafe structures, unsafe electrical installations, and high voltage. Requires safety procedures to be followed, including the use of personal protective equipment.