City of Houston
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE IV
at City of Houston
- POSITION OVERVIEW
Applications Accepted From: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Workdays & Hours: Monday - Friday 40 Hours*
*Subject to change*
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Health Department is actively searching for a skilled individual who is self-motivated and willing to provide essential services as a Public Health Nurse IV which includes the following:
The position occasionally requires stooping or bending. Occasional very light lifting, such as three or four reams of papers or books (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight) may be required. There are occasional minor discomforts from exposure to less-than-optimal temperature and air conditions.The position may involve dealing with modestly unpleasant situations, as with occasional exposure to office chemicals and/or extensive use of a video display terminal.
- Collaborate and perform visits to local hospitals to provide education regarding Tuberculosis; including Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) and the benefits provided in the rapid identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (TB). Maintain clear and concise documentation of encounters and education provide to hospital staff in the greater Houston area.
- Under general supervision provides holistic patient care in a variety of settings, including but not limited to provision of direct patient care in a health center, the patient's home, correctional facilities, mobile unit or via telephonic case management or as needed by the Bureau of Tuberculosis Control
- Coordinate the nursing care by developing a complete and accurate case management plan for each patient; assists and plans patient activities per the case management plan
- Collect bacteriological specimens and blood work and monitors the results for appropriate follow up. Provides education to patients, internal and external partners on Tuberculosis
- Assist in daily management of the medication room, including checking medication into the data base and verifying medication dosages prior to dispatch to Public Health Investigators
- Administer, read and interpret Tuberculosis screening tests (Mantoux and IGRA) and provides assessment for appropriate follow up
- Triage patient medications and side effects. Appropriately refer patients who have side effects to provide utilizing nursing process and judgment according to policies and procedures. Refer patient as appropriate for other medical and social needs
- Drive from site to site with personal or city vehicle and must have a valid drivers license to be in compliance with AP 2-2.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Requires graduation from an accredited school of nursing. A Bachelor of Science degree in nursing is preferred.
Four (4) years of nursing practice or experience as a medical professional in a clinic or hospital setting are required.
A Master of Science degree in Nursing, a license to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Texas, in addition to (1) one year of nursing experience may be substituted for the experience requirement.
Must be licensed to practice as a registered nurse (RN) in the State of Texas. CPR certification is required. RN License and CPR certification must be maintained and current for continued employment.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
- GENERAL INFORMATION
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: Yes
This position is subject to random drug testing and if candidate is promoted into this position, he/she must pass an assigned drug test.
GENERAL FUND POSITION
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 22
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832-393-4632.
If you need special services or accommodations, 832-393-4632 (TTY 7-1-1).
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.