City of Houston
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV)
at City of Houston
- POSITION OVERVIEW
PN#20738: PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV)
Workdays & Hours: Varied within Mon-Sun*; 8:00am - 5:00pm*
*Subject to change
The Planning and Development Department in Houston, Texas, the nation's fourth largest and most culturally diverse city has an opportunity for an individual to become a vital member of a progressive organization in the position of Director. The Planning & Development Department provides leadership and support by:
• Establishing and enforcing rules for land development and growth and serves as the support function to the City's Planning Commission
• Developing plans to meet future citywide needs for mobility and community development
• Working to create and implement tools that provide community sustainability
• Foster the creation and maintaining of the City's Historical Districts and works towards appropriate preservation of the City's history
• Providing reliable data, mapping and analysis to decision-makers
The Department's mission is to work to ensure that the City of Houston remains a vibrant and sustainable city by partnering with decision makers and the community to balance a spectrum of needs and interests. Achieving this balance requires the dynamics of growth while preserving city-wide interests of the entire community.
Core functions of the Director are:
• Ensure the engagement of the Planning Commission in all major aspects of City Planning
• Appreciate the careful balance between neighborhoods and development
• Help lead Houston's development climate
• Have a strong regulatory background that includes developing ordinances, stakeholder involvement and implementation
• Be responsible for the Planning and Development organizational priorities and have a passion for service
Responsibilities of the Director include:
• Providing administrative direction for department policy, services, programs and activities
• Providing direction to staff on ordinance implementation, resolving implementation issues, developing and writing interpretations, monitoring deadlines and adjusting staffing levels to meet demand of the department
• Review and approve departmental recommendations to the Planning Commission, Historical Commission and Tower Commission
• Make presentations to organizations, civic and elected officials on department programs and practices
• Advise and assist the Chief Development Officer of the City, the Mayor and City Council in developing programs, practices, proposed changes to ordinances and new ordinances.
Position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking standing etc.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's degree in City Planning, Architecture, Civil Engineering, Public Administration, Urban Studies or a closely related field
10 years of experience in City Planning, Architecture, Civil Engineering or a closely related field
Requires a valid Driver's License and compliance with the City of Houston policy on driving (AP 2-2).
Preference will be given to applicants who possess:
- Masters Degree in city planning or related field.
- Progressive leadership and supervisory experience in the planning field.
- Executive Management experience.
- Experience in working with Boards or Commissions.
- Local government planning experience.
- Familiarity with Houston Ordinances.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
- GENERAL INFORMATION
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
None; however, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832-393-6030.
If you need special services or accommodations, call 832-393-6030.(TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.