City of Houston
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
IT SPECIALIST - SECURITY (CYBER SECURITY ANALYST)
at City of Houston
- POSITION OVERVIEW
Applications accepted from: ALL PERSONS
Job Classification: IT SPECIALIST – SECURITY (CYBER SECURITY ANALYST)
Posting Number: 22099
Division: CYBER SECURITY
Reporting Location: 1100 LOUISIANA
Workdays & Hours: MONDAY – FRIDAY 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM* *Subject to Change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Duties, functions and responsibilities of this position include:
- Monitoring and analyzing network traffic, Intrusion Detection Systems (IDS), security events and logs
- Prioritizing and differentiating between potential intrusion attempts and false alarms
- Creating and tracking security investigations to resolution
- Staying up to date with current vulnerabilities, attacks, and countermeasures
- Provide analysis and trending of security log data from a large number of heterogeneous security devices.
- Provide Incident Response (IR) support when analysis confirms actionable incident
- Provide threat and vulnerability analysis as well as security advisory services
- Analyze and respond to previously undisclosed software and hardware vulnerabilities
- Investigate, document, and report on information security issues and emerging trends
- Knowledge of TCP/IP protocols and network/security applications
- Hands on experience with SIEM & EDR tools
- Experience managing & analyzing alarms from security tools such as firewalls, IDS/IPS systems and SIEM
- Familiar with interpreting and analyzing vulnerability scan results
- Working knowledge of industry best practices such as NIST, ISO27002, PCI-DSS and HIPAA
- Hands on experience with operating systems (Windows, Linux)
- Knowledge of current threats, vulnerabilities, and recent cyber attacks
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
- Good written and oral communications skills
- Other duties as assigned
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions. Significant time spent using computer display, keyboard, and mouse.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Associate's degree in Computer Science, Management and Information Systems (MIS), Business or a related field. System-specific technical certifications may be considered a substitution for Associate's degree.
Experience in IT security, infrastructure or applications may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
At least one (1) year of IT security, infrastructure or applications experience.
Must be able to pass a criminal background check, obtain and maintain federally mandated security clearances where required.
The candidate must have the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledgeable of Cyber Kill Chain and Diamond Model of Intrusion Analysis
- Knowledge of SIEM, IDS, anti-virus/anti-malware and firewall technologies
- Understanding of networking and TCP/IP
- Experience with a wide variety of operating systems: Windows Server, Windows 10, Windows 7, Linux etc.
- Ability to troubleshoot technical and security related issues
- Experience working in a rapidly changing, high intensity environment
- Avid, proactive learner and ability to work well in a team based environment
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills
- Candidate required to obtain Security+ certification during first year of employment
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
- GENERAL INFORMATION
SELECTION / SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Department may administer skills assessment test
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION NO
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
PAY GRADE: 22
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832/393-0204).
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832/393-0204). (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy