City of Houston
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Executive Staff Analyst (EXE LEV) - Chief of Staff
at City of Houston
- POSITION OVERVIEW
Applications Accepted from: All Persons Interested
Department: Housing and Community Development
Division: Director's Office
Reporting Location: 2100 Travis, Houston, TX 77002
Workdays & Hours: 8 am - 5 pm Monday - Friday*
* Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston's Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) seeks to create a city in which every resident has an affordable home in a community where they can thrive. Partnering with non-profit, governmental, and local entities, HCDD strives to strengthen Houston's neighborhoods, provide true housing choice and execute the Mayor's vision for One Houston with complete communities throughout. At HCDD, we believe that competent government plays an indispensable role in solving some of our City's most intransigent social problems.
HCDD is seeking a Chief of Staff to join its team. This is a new role for the Department as it grows to a staff of more than 200 employees managing $1.3 billion dedicated to helping low and moderate-income families recover from Hurricane Harvey. The Chief of Staff will be responsible for translating the Director's vision and decisions into practical, timely, coordinated action by the Department's six divisions.
Highly qualified candidates will have experience working in large, highly regulated, public-facing organizations and a demonstrated commitment to community and public service. Experience working in the affordable housing field may be beneficial, but is not required.
- Facilitates strategic management processes out of the Director's Office to coordinate and organize activity across divisions to achieve programmatic priorities
- Assist the Director as a thought partner and sounding board, setting clear direction for senior staff on the department's bold initiatives; ensuring accountability for high-level outcomes in priority areas; and maximizing available resources, including the Director and senior team's time
- Serve as a resource to senior staff by maintaining high-level awareness of activity across all aspects of the Department's work, identifying points of potential collaboration, flagging potential risks, and removing barriers to achieving goals
- Manage mission-critical strategic initiatives out of the Director's Office as needed
- Help manage the appropriate flow of communication and information between the Director and senior staff
- Represent the Director in meetings, inter-Departmental processes, and external relationships; attend public events on behalf of the Director and the Department
- Judgement: Skilled in solving problems and negotiating solutions in sensitive or political contexts.
- Management abilities: Strong capacity for organizing people and work at a high level, with a focus on delegation, clear communication, risk awareness, and accountability for outcomes.
- Articulate: Organizes and presents complex ideas concisely. Can write persuasively for internal and external audiences, on tight deadlines.
- Analytical: Displays well developed critical thinking skills, intellectual curiosity, and ability to integrate information across silos.
This position is physically comfortable. There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or a field directly related to the type of work to be performed.
Graduate degrees related to the type of work to be performed may substitute for the experience requirement on a year-for-year basis.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Seven years of professional administrative, financial or analytical experience related to the type of work being performed are required.
Professional experience related to the type of work to be performed may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
MINIMUM LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
- Experience serving as a chief of staff or senior advisory role in a large organization (50+)
- Experience working in a large, highly regulated, public-facing organization
- Demonstrated commitment to public and community service
- Ability to understand complex financial data and reports
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6**
- GENERAL INFORMATION
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Department may administer skills assessment relevant to job description.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION No
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 30
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: http://www.www.houstontx.gov
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
If you need special services or accommodations, please call 832.393.6090; TTY 7-1-1.