City of Houston
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
ATTORNEY - ENVIRONMENTAL
at City of Houston
- POSITION OVERVIEW
PN#20041 ENVIRONMENTAL ATTORNEY
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The City of Houston Legal Department strives to provide the highest quality municipal legal services to the City in the most efficient manner feasible through adherence to the following guiding principles:
• Quality & Service – Achieving high customer satisfaction as judged by our clients
• Partnership & Teamwork – Working cooperatively internally and with our clients to achieve the City's goals
• Integrity & Candor – Acting with a commitment to honesty and ethical behavior
• Dignity & Diversity – Demonstrating esteem for the worth of each individual
• Innovation & Imagination – Seeking novel and creative approaches to achieving the City's objectives
Comprised of over 100 of Houston's finest attorneys across ten sections, the Legal Department has the pivotal role in providing legal advice for use internally and externally. Every employee is committed to the Department's motto: "Service Through Law."
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The City of Houston Legal Department is seeking an efficient, and solutions-focused environmental attorney with at least two years of legal experience in environmental law, including air, water, and/or waste regulatory compliance, permitting and enforcement matters.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing guidance and counsel to various City departments about possible environmental infractions and enforcement requirements.
- Engaging with the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and other environmental organizations to forge relationships, update client departments regarding current environmental regulations and requirements, and keep the needs of the City of Houston on the forefront of future federal and state environmental changes and regulations.
- Negotiating and drafting agreements, including settlements, with commercial businesses and private property owners to check for contamination, enforce regulations, and clean up contaminated sites.
- Drafting ordinances that relate to various environmental legal matters including Municipal Settings Designations and Code of Ordinances amendments.
- Reviewing and commenting on proposed environmental regulations.
- Performing title review and drafting documents related to City permitting.
- Rendering legal advice to various City of Houston departments regarding environmental permitting, monitoring, and enforcement of City environmental codes.
- Drafting, reviewing, and/or revising city policies to further the City's goal of preventing and remediating environmental contamination in the City of Houston.
- Working in collaboration with various attorneys on purchase and sale agreements, easements, deeds, and litigation to ensure the City of Houston is protected against environmental contamination.
- Supporting a senior environmental attorney in day to day activities including attending client meetings, assisting in proposed legislation review during legislative session, and assisting client departments with various environmental activities including enforcement of City of Houston environmental policies and procedures.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
EDUCATIONAL: Requires a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an American Bar Association accredited college of law.
Experience with the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Resource and Conservation and Recovery Act, Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act, the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act, Hazardous and Solid Waste Amendments, and the Endangered Species Ac, among others.
LICENSE: Must be a member of the Texas State Bar and have a valid Driver's License.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience working with TCEQ, EPA, and other federal, state, and local agencies preferred.
- Experience drafting, negotiating, and reviewing environmental sections of contracts and property restrictions.
- Solid legal research and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Familiarity with Texas real property statutes and Federal, State and local environmental laws.
- Familiarity with municipal or public law.
- Must be willing to work extended hours as needed to accommodate work load demands.
- Proficiency with Word, Outlook, Excel and the use of technology in the practice.
- GENERAL INFORMATION
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED: Yes
All applicants will be expected to provide a writing sample, transcripts and letter(s) of recommendation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in similar positions.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. Applications must be submitted online at: http://www.www.houstontx.gov
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or please call 832.393.6090.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided. If you need special services or accommodations, call TTY 7-1-1.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.