City of Houston
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - STRATEGIC TRANSPORTATION PLANNING
at City of Houston
- POSITION OVERVIEW
PN# 22002 ASSISTANT DIRECTOR (EXE LEV) - STRATEGIC TRANSPORTATION PLANNING
Workdays & Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm*
*Subject to change
You are invited to bring your passion for public service and multimodal transportation to our team as an Assistant Director for Strategic Transportation Planning.
Welcome to the City of Houston's Planning & Development Department. Our department is a key player in the Mayor's effort to build a vibrant, resilient and equitable Houston that works for all our two million residents. Much like Houston itself, we are a culturally diverse team that is committed to improving Houston's built environment. Our team is filled with energetic change-agents who make a difference every day by balancing the needs and interests of the community we serve.
We operate with four core values: Innovation, Collaboration, Integrity and Empowerment. We treat ourselves, our partners and our customers with respect and we put continuous learning in the center of our operation.
Our Strategic Transportation Planning team has the important job of providing systems-level transportation planning to support the Mayor's vision of a creating paradigm shift in how Houstonians move in and around our city – moving away from single-occupancy vehicles to a combination of transit, bicycle and pedestrian modes.
This position acts as the City's chief transportation planner, providing strategic and dynamic leadership for the City's systems-level transportation planning efforts, including consideration of how transportation decisions relate to land use and economic development in the city and region.
You will provide leadership for several projects that support the Mayor's vision for a multi-modal city that provides safe and efficient transportation for all Houstonians. You will direct efforts to support all modes of transportation, including transit, bicycling, and walking. You will be a member of the Department's senior leadership team and work closely with City staff and partner agencies. You will communicate complex transportation planning programs, studies, and projects to a wide audience. You will coordinate daily with transportation partner such as Houston Public Works, METRO and TxDOT. You will regularly use your project management and leadership skills.
You should be creative and bring a new perspective to age-old problems. You are naturally curious and have a strong desire to learn and grow in your profession. You must be able to demonstrate strong analytical and communication skills; experience working with the public/clients/team to resolve problems; and the ability to juggle multiple priorities.
A sample of your responsibilities include:
- Help establish and promote a long-term strategic vision for the City's transportation systems in line with the Mayor's priorities. Advise City leadership on transportation and related policy and plans necessary to achieve this vision.
- Lead the development of multimodal transportation plans that improve access and connectivity for all Houstonians. These plans should consider related impacts on neighborhoods, growth, economic development, and other issues, and other similar studies, and/or coordinate with other City departments and outside agencies on such plans and their implementation.
- Manage and promote the City's major transportation planning related programs including but not limited to the Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan, the Bicycle Master Plan, the Complete Streets and Transportation Plan, and sub-regional mobility plans.
- Promote the City's interests on transportation-related committees, councils, and working groups.
- Present detailed reports or studies to City Council, commissions, community groups, government agencies, stakeholders, and the public.
- Lead City efforts to secure external transportation funds, including procurement and administration of federal and state funds for studies, design, and construction of mobility projects
- Prepare, or oversee the preparation of maps and other graphical representations of data.
- Manage, train, develop, counsel, and evaluate staff performance.
- Performs other duties or assists with special projects as needed.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Public Administration or closely related field.
Seven (7) years of administrative experience are required, with at least three of those years in a managerial capacity. A Master's degree may be substituted for two years of experience.
DESIRED EMPLOYEE ATTRIBUTES
- Specific Job Skills: knowledge of transportation planning principles and practices with extensive knowledge and experience in multi-modality, excellent written & verbal communication skills, proficient in Microsoft Office and ArcGIS. AICP certification is preferred.
- Preferred Personality Traits: self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook, and a clear focus on high quality and customer service; a natural forward planner who critically assesses own performance; mature, credible, and comfortable in dealing with mid to high executive levels and politicians; reliable, tolerant, and determined; empathic communicator, able to see things from the other person's point of view; well-presented and businesslike; keen for new experience, responsibility and accountability; able to work well with others and be a team-player.
Preference will be give to applicants that possess:
- Demonstrated knowledge of planning and transportation principles
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail; Proficient in ArcGIS and Microsoft Office
- Demonstrated time management & organizational skills
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Demonstrated success working with diverse clientele.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
- GENERAL INFORMATION
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
None; however, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Pay Grade 32
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832) 393-6069.
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832) 393-6069. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.