CITY OF GARLAND TEXAS
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Park Planner
at CITY OF GARLAND TEXAS
- Job ID
- # of Openings Remaining
- PRCAD - Admin/Development
- Job Family
- Target Hiring Range
- Depending on Qualifications
- Regular Full-Time
- Job Code Category
Garland Parks, Recreation & Cultural Arts (PRCAD) is an award-winning department that serves a community of more than 238,000. Over the last few years, Garland’s programs and staff continue to receive recognition and numerous awards from organizations such as the Texas Recreation and Park Society. The City of Garland recently passed a Bond program which includes $117,750,000 for PRCAD to renovate, construct, develop, improve and expand Parks and Recreation facilities. Projects include improvements to recreation centers, aquatic facilities, trails, parking lots, roads, sports fields, water features, playgrounds, and other supportive infrastructure facilities at or integrated into Parks and Recreation.
Responsible for providing complex professional park planning activities involving advanced planning and special projects for the utilization and design of land and physical facilities and administration of the capital improvement programs.
Essential Job Functions
- Research, develop, implement and oversee strategies of PRCAD Capital Improvement Programs for park project design and construction and post construction administration for warranty and guarantee phase periods.
- Develop and implement park master planning, site analysis and perform needs analysis for specific park facilities including prepare base drawings, develop preliminary sketch plans and discuss and implement project specifications.
- Oversee park development documents for the purpose of bidding and/or construction for parking improvements.
- Prepare contracts and service agreements with consultants and contractors for park studies and park design services.
- Document and file all records related to park studies and development
- Act as liaison to private citizens, developer, contractors and City management to discuss development impact on City parks and requirements for development.
- Conduct special studies in gathering and analyzing data and information to ensure all projects and programs are compliant to all applicable to current codes and ordinances. Update codes and ordinances if necessary.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
3 years of related experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
- Bachelors Degree in Landscape Architecture or a related field of study
- 5-7 years of experience in planning and designing landscape architecture projects, AutoCAD and GIS software programs
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles of park planning, relating to parks, recreation and cultural services planning
- Comprehensive knowledge of city, state and federal laws, codes and regulations regarding design and development of parks and recreation facilities including accessibility, project bidding, floodplain development, play ground development, etc
- Comprehensive knowledge of construction plan implementation, program design and project management methods
- Skill in utilizing software such as Desktop Publishing and Geographic Information Systems (GIS),
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD) and Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to analyze and compile statistical, economic and technical data relating to park planning matters
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with public officials, citizens and staff members
- Ability to perform project management for multiple capital projects simultaneously
Licenses & Certifications
Texas Board of Architectural Examiners Landscape Architect License
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
Results Focus/Project Management