City of Deer Park
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Library Adult Services Supervisor
at City of Deer Park
Pay: up to $23.88/hour
Salary : $23.88 Hourly
Job Reference #: 2505417
Categories: Management - Mid-Level (Manager, Director)
Overall Job Objective
|Job Title:||Library Adult Services Supervisor|
|Location:||Library, Deer Park, Texas|
|Position Description: Provides reference and reader's advisory services along with supervisory duties. Plans, publicizes, and conducts programs and computer classes for adults. Other duties include developing adult reference, adult nonfiction and electronic resources collections, grant writing, maintenance of technology and electronic resources, providing bibliographic instruction, and other duties as assigned|
|Examples Of Essential Duties:|
|ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.|
• Provide readers' advisory and reference service
• Plan, publicize and implement adult programs, computer classes, exhibits, and events; provides bibliographic instruction, in both one on one and formal classroom setting, on a variety of subjects including computer skills, Microsoft Office, and electronic resources.
• Supervises members of Reference Department staff.
• Develop and maintain adult nonfiction collection and reference collection independently or through interaction with staff and/or sales representatives.
• Develop and maintain electronic resources collection, including troubleshooting technical issues.
• Assists in managing library technologies, including public access computers, library software and databases.
• Assists in the maintenance of publicity tools, including website, DPTV, social network pages, library marquee and other available tools.
• Prepare monthly reports and maintain records.
• Researches grant and outside funding opportunities; Prepares grant applications; Oversee grant administration as needed.
• Assist at circulation desk when needed.
• Assists in long range planning process.
• Plans and executes staff continuing education program.
PERIPHERAL DUTIES Attend workshops as needed or as available. Serve as a member of various city employee committees, as assigned.
| Typical Qualifications:|
Education and Experience: (A) Graduation from a college or university with an ALA-accredited MLS or MLIS degree. (B) One to three (1-3) years public library experience (C) Two (2) years of supervisory experience. (D) Experience working at reference desk
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(A) Strong automation/computer background. Experience with a variety of Microsoft operating systems and Microsoft Office products
(B) Knowledge of Polaris Library Systems a plus
(C) Ability to work well with public
(D) Strong Internet search skills
(E) Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
(F) Strong presentation/bibliographic instruction experience and skills. Teaching experience a plus
(G) Knowledge of current library practices and technologies.
(H) Knowledge of trends in reference and instruction services
(I) Requires some evening and weekend work.
(J) Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Valid State Driver's License or ability to obtain one.
| Supplemental Information:|
|TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED|
Library Computer System, including desktop and laptop computers; Online databases; various software programs; calculator; copy machine; telephone and auto.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, stand, listen and talk, or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.