Baylor College of Medicine
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Registered Dietitian
at Baylor College of Medicine
Texas Medical Center, Houston, TX
Up to $68,750
Staff Job Category:
Healthcare, Hot Job
The Bariatric Clinical Dietitian provides comprehensive, safe, and effective medical nutrition therapy through evaluation and assessment of nutritional status, determines appropriate nutrition interventions to improve nutritional status, and provides comprehensive and detailed nutrition education and care plans to patients and families in inpatient and outpatient areas. Also serves as an expert resource to the multi- disciplinary medical or surgical team on any bariatric nutrition-related matters.
- Assess nutrition status of patient and, based on this evaluation, plans, implements and evaluates appropriate cost-effective nutrition care of clients.
- Teach informational classes.
- Help coordinate the bariatric support group classes.
- Provide nutrition education counseling utilizing techniques that consider the varied needs bariatric populations as well as cultural, religious, and ethnic concerns.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the patient’s referring physician and other health care providers to ensure continuity of care.
- Develop and implement an individualized plan for nutrition intervention in accordance with the patient’s medical program goals and objectives, nutrition prescription, and self-management training. Assist patients in developing realistic, long-term health goals and goal- directed behaviors.
- Identify opportunities to increase patient, physician, and community awareness of outpatient nutrition services.
- Prepare and deliver community nutrition education programs as assigned.
- Maintain accurate records of appointments for scheduling and billing.
- Provide appropriate documentation summarizing the nutrition care plan in the patient’s medical record.
- Assist in developing and revising patient education materials, forms, and protocols.
- Participate in planning and developing nutrition-related policies, procedures, and goals.
- Demonstrate initiative to improve quality and customer service by striving to exceed customer expectations.
- Perform other duties as requested by Clinic Manager to facilitate the smooth and effective operations of the office.
- Provides appropriate education and nutrition counseling to patients and families.
- Participates in the updating and development of nutrition education materials as needed. Participates in education of medical providers, and the community as requested and appropriate.
- Collaborates with the family, bariatric medical team, and other providers as appropriate to ensure the continuum of care for the patient and optimal clinical services and outcomes.
- Completes written documentation of medical nutrition therapy provided in accordance with department standards for format, content, and time frames.
- Accurately and consistently documents and charges for (if applicable) direct patient care time in the electronic medical record.
- Demonstrates leadership by training staff, participating in planned professional development, and encouraging commitment, responsibility and accountability of each staff member.
Required: to be licensed dietitian by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Dietitians within 6 months of hire.
- Bachelors' degree in Nutrition or related field.
- Five years of directly related experience.
- Must be a Registered Dietitian by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the American Dietetic Association and a Licensed Dietitian by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Dietitians.
- Ability to be licensed dietitian by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Dietitians within six months of hire.
- Masters' degree in Nutrition or related field.
The following is a list of the Required and Optional documents for this position. Please be sure to have them ready before you submit your application.