Baylor College of Medicine
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Research Assistant II
at Baylor College of Medicine
Advanced Technology Cores (ATC)
Genomic and RNA Profiling (GARP) Core Facility
Baylor Main Campus, Houston, TX
up to $50,000
Staff Job Category:
Hot Job, Research - Laboratory, Research/Scientific
The Genomic and RNA Profiling (GARP) Core Facility at Baylor College of Medicine (Baylor) in the Texas Medical Center (TMC) is hiring a Research Assistant II (RAII). The laboratory is located centrally to Baylor and the TMC and is a dynamic environment that interacts with many different areas of science including basic research and clinical research. The GARP RAII assists in the operation of the laboratory by performing specialized tasks involving genomic profiling technologies including PCR, NanoString digital assays and Next-Generation Sequencing. The position is responsible for the set up and operation of various instruments and processing samples for users of the GARP. The RAII is responsible for basic molecular lab duties and interacts with various research areas by providing genomic profiling expertise to augment ongoing research.
- Perform genomic profiling related duties including NGS library construction.
- Operate and maintain high-throughput sequencers.
- Perform quantitative real-time PCR including preparing samples, template preparation using PCR-based approaches, reaction setup, interpreting sequencing data using computer based approaches and data storage.
- Maintain Quality Assurance Protocols for all data produced in the laboratory.
- Critically think about and suggest improvements to maintain high quality standards.
- Handle and process a variety of sample types for profiling.
- Participate in experimental design and R&D projects.
- Develop and maintain lab protocols and actively participate in improving protocols.
- Work synergistically with peers from your own and other groups.
- Train co-workers in the proper use of instrumentation, protocols, and software.
- Organize and prioritize work to ensure on-time delivery of results.
- Interpret results for validity and scientific meaning.
- Demonstrate strong verbal/written communication skills, organization and time management skills.
- Multitask and pay close attention to detail.
- Perform pipet reproducibly.
- Perform lab calculations needed to perform laboratory duties.
- Bachelor's degree in a basic science or related field.
- Three years of relevant experience.
- Masters of Science in biology, chemistry or life sciences
- Background in molecular biology
- Experience with automated systems, robotics, capillary electrophoresis, and DNA sequencing (Illumina) platforms is highly desired.
- Experience with epigenomic profiling technologies is a plus.
- Quick learner
- Sets example by demonstrating excellence
- Detail oriented and focused
- Creative and innovative
- Excellent at multitasking
- Hard working and highly organized
We invite you to learn more about our benefits and BCM BeWell program.
The following is a list of the Required and Optional documents for this position. Please be sure to have them ready before you submit your application.