Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Research Scientist, Research & Development
at Houston Astros
Senior Research Scientist, Research & Development
Department: Baseball Operations, Research and Development
Supervisor: Director, Research and Development
Classification: Full-time (Exempt)
Location: Houston, TX
The Houston Astros are seeking a Senior Research Scientist for the team’s Baseball Research and Development group. The Senior Research Scientist will work closely with a cross-functional agile team to conduct research and develop methods that encourage the effective understanding and application of information throughout Baseball Operations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide technical direction and scientific expertise in the planning and implementation of research to improve the organization’s understanding of biomechanics of baseball
- Lead organizational efforts in the study of human motion by applying biomechanical principles to collected data
- Develop models, using advanced analytical and computational methodologies for prediction, analysis, and validation of player performance
- Analyze, explore, and organize large data sets to identify key information, develop hypotheses and new metrics, and communicate findings
- Design and develop research projects and data collection processes for sports performance assessment and improvement
- Lead the successful completion of major programs in a project leadership role
- Communicate closely with front office, coaching, player development, and scouting personnel in the gathering and application of baseball information
- Develop data visualizations to help partners interpret scientific insights and results and accelerate the implementation process to scale
- PhD, Masters, or Equivalent Technology/Movement Analysis experience in: Aerospace Engineering, Applied & Computational Mathematics, Applied Statistics, Artificial Intelligence, Biomechanics, Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Vision, Control and Dynamical Systems, Electrical Engineering, Kinesiology, Mechanical Engineering, Machine Learning, Robotics Engineering
- In-depth experience analyzing biometric and/or sensor data sets (e.g. accelerometers, gyroscopes, GPS data, high speed video, kinematic data, wearable technology, 3D motion capture systems, human movement analysis, spatiotemporal data, electromyography)
- Proficiency with R/Python or similar statistical programming languages
- Strong understanding of relational database software. Proficiency in SQL programming preferred.
- In-depth experience working in a collaborative team environment to design and develop research projects and data collection processes for performance assessment and improvement
- Intangibles: Curious, creative, independent thinker, self-starter, collaborator, strong communicator (written/verbal), highly motivated, ability to develop trust and build effective working relationships
Additional Preferred Skills
- Baseball-specific understanding / knowledge
- Exposure/experience in data science and machine learning as applied to Sports Medicine and Performance (sensor fusion, time-series analysis, pattern recognition, classification, clustering, categorical data analysis, regression, SVM, neural networks, regularization, frequency domain analysis, FIR/IIR filtering)
- Experience in computer vision as applied to Sports Performance (event detection, object recognition, three-dimensional pose estimation)
- Exposure/experience in anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, sports performance research
- Experience in a project leadership role
This job operates in an office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit (for long periods of time); use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; talk or hear. The employee may occasionally lift or move equipment, up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Some travel may be expected in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.