Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Astros Golf Foundation Internships (multiple opportunities)
at Houston Astros
Title: Astros Golf Foundation Internships
Department: Astros Golf Foundation
The Astros Golf Foundation Internships are intended for individuals with a strong desire to gain real-world work experience, as well as a desire to work hard and give their best. Learning potential is endless in these positions and interns get out of the experience what they put into it. These internships are intended as an educational experience, these internships are unpaid and require full availability July-November.
The Astros Golf Foundation Internship offers the opportunity for interns to gain experience in all areas of tournament planning/management. This internship opportunity will allow for the participation and completion of specific projects leading up to and during the tournament.
This internship provides the opportunity to learn through observation, participation and execution how a golf tournament is executed. The internship requires inquisitive, responsible self-starters who enjoy a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. The opportunities require strong communication skills with above average computer skills.
Chosen candidates will have many opportunities to network and work with members of the PGA community, Astros organization, event execution partners and vendors and corporate and social clients. Intern candidates should possess confidence and poise to deal with all of these entities.
- At least Junior level college/university student or recent graduate with comparable major related to chosen internship interest.
- High level of professionalism with ability to thrive in a fast-paced team environment.
- Highly motivated with strong work ethic.
- Superior attention to detail and deadline orientation.
- Ability to work efficiently.
- Ability to maintain discretion concerning confidential information.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office platforms.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and handle numerous assignments simultaneously.
- Strong written and interpersonal skills.
- Willing to offer ideas and suggestions.
Work Environment: These positions will operate in both a traditional office setting as well as well as an outdoor- golf tournament setting. This requires the ability to function in a high activity and heavily crowded outdoor professional sports venue environment. Intern may be exposed to weather of varying degrees while participating in this internship.
Physical Demands: Ability to lift/carry/move items weighing up to 30lbs. Ability to sit for long periods of time, hear, see and touch. May be required to stoop, kneel or crouch. Ability to walk long distances and/or stand for long periods of time. This internship requires full availability from July-November.
1. Sales Intern: Supports the sponsorship sales activation and execution efforts by collaborating with sales/development and finance to ensure fulfillment of sales and event packages. Interns may also process incoming ticket orders and payments. This intern will also assist Finance with Retail sales reporting.
2.Marketing/Soc. Media Intern: Work with Marketing professionals to produce press releases, create content, secure photos/videos for digital platforms as well as provide updates and generally push the promotion of Houston Open and associated events. Experience planning and executing social media content a plus.
3.Volunteer Services Intern: Assist in set-up and maintenance of and vendor and volunteer database. Support management coordinating and communicating with various tournament vendors on scheduling, credentialing, deliveries and supply needs as well as soliciting in-kind donations for fundraising. This role will have a heavy emphasis on hospitality and client services.
4. Programming Intern (Birdies for Charity): Assist with the planning and organization of Birdies for Charity event specifically assisting with securing charities to participate. Additionally, duties may include brainstorming ideas, purchasing supplies, tracking and organizing inventory and generally partnering with staff to maintain checklists and timelines for the event.
5. Finance Intern: This Intern will gain first-hand, individualistic experience in providing Finance/Accounting for a non-profit organization. This role is integral in making sure that the tournament and profits are properly allocated. There will be opportunities to work on financial reports, invoices and spreadsheets as well as connect with charitable donors. There will also be opportunity to process invoices for payment using purchase order system. Should be proficient in Excel and pursuing (or earned) an accounting or finance degree.
6. Operations Intern: This intern will assist with all daily tournament activities and all set-up related to tournament activities/events (to include the golf tournament). This can include; support with physical preparation of course (displays/signage set-up, credential boards and sponsorship needs); site and office set-ups; tracking inventory of tournament assets (carts, signage, supplies, radios and other operational items. This position requires a high level of organizational skills and ability to effectively communicate.
7.Pro-Am Intern: This intern will assist in providing an unforgettable experience for pro-am participants. This includes working closely with tournament staff to provide administrative support as related to the Pro-Am, Pro-am registration and handicap verification, participation credentialing and database maintenance and follow-up.
8.Special Events Intern: This intern will assist in the planning of various events during tournament season. This includes assisting with F&B, A/V and décor requests and fulfillment; serving as a point of contact on event day to answer questions or direct clients/patrons; as well as assist with administrative needs related to scheduled events and event fulfillment.