Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Vice President of Maintenance / Operations
at Austin Industries
- Requisition ID
Austin Industrial, Inc. is a leading General Contractor who provides construction, maintenance and plant services to a variety of industrial clients. We are currently seeking Vice President of Maintenance / Operations to be located at our corporate headquarters in La Porte, TX. The Vice-President of Maintenance/Operations will report to the President of Austin Industrial and will plan and direct Maintenance Operations of Austin Industrial in a manner that ensures approved company objectives are achieved through the effective utilization of human and material resources in the maintenance and construction operations of the company. This position will develop and implement policies and programs to achieve short-term performance goals and long-term growth.
Functional Areas of Responsibility
- Maintenance Management
- Construction & Fabrication Shop Management
- Project Management
- Proposal Preparation
- Contract Compliance
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control
- Leadership Development
- Keeps the President of Austin Industrial informed of important plans and activities. Seeks advice, counsel and approval on matters of a size that would ultimately affect the success of Austin Industrial assuring that they serve the best interest of customers, stockholders and employee-owners.
- Manages work and oversees personnel to ensure that their teams are achieving outstanding results. Communicates the company mission, vision, values, goals, and policies and ensures that their teams are supporting them. Personally sets an example by his/her work ethic and professional conduct and holds their team members accountable for performance.
- Provide leadership and direction in establishing a world-class safety culture.
- Assures the continuity of organization and staff. Motivated to assure the successful completion of present commitments and to provide for growth through:
- Recruiting, selecting, training, directing, retention of and guiding the development of key personnel.
- The appropriate recognition and reward features of the performance appraisal system.
- Drive continued Leadership Development for Austin Industrial through an alignment with strategic long-term development initiatives (i.e. Cornerstone; Leadership Develop Program, etc…)
- Analyzes performance of company operations and develops methods and plans of operation to maximize profit and return on investment over the long term. Defines and develops long-range goals and reviews achievement of those goals assuring that they are compatible with corporate goals and objectives.
- Approves budget and authorizes budget expenditures. Approves allocations of Company assets such as cash, equipment, and human resources to maintain or achieve maximum performance.
- Provides advice and counsel and management judgment on specific questions and problems related to the operations and goals of Austin Industrial thereby serving as a technical advisor on industrial related concerns.
- Participates and approves levels of bidding as to size of project, type of project and profit margin insuring proper risk assessment and capability to perform.
- Provides an organization in structure and staffing, is capable of providing support in the development of concepts, in implementation of policy and plans and in the control of end results.
- Develops and implements strategic plans in harmony with divisional strategy that will achieve desired level of profits and optimum volume consistent with planned growth, continuity, and expansion objectives.
- Pursues excellence in all phases of managing the company’s operations, with constant emphasis on the following:Development and maintenance of a favorable image with owners, architects, financial organizations, subcontractors, suppliers, and various publics, to expand the company’s opportunity for new business.
- Contracts – Protecting the company’s interest by careful review of all contracts utilizing the company standard whenever possible.
- Purchasing – Choosing the best vendor and subcontractor at a competitive price and writing purchase orders and subcontracts that are complete and clear in language as to intent and scope of work.
- Innovation – The profitable use of appropriate new construction methods and equipment to facilitate and improve building construction to reduce costs and give added value to the owner.
- Complete in-depth job planning prior to start of work to assure successful completion of the project as related to costs, time schedule and quality of work.
- Maintenance of company safety standards and appropriate regulatory agency standards.
- Works as a team member with the corporate units and other operating VPs and managers for useful coordination and effective direction in making Austin Industrial the best in the industry.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 15 to 20 years’ of progressive experience in industrial maintenance services with annual revenue of $100MM or larger and capital construction projects of $50MM or larger.
- Advanced knowledge of the Industrial maintenance/construction industry and operations is required.
- Bachelor’s degree required − Electrical, Civil or Mechanical Engineering degree preferred. (MBA Preferred)
- Position requires someone who is comfortable functioning as an “entrepreneurial change agent”, with the capacity to think both strategically and tactically, coupled with the ability to focus on day-to-day issues. Proven experience in building partnerships.
- He/she must have the ability to “think outside the box” from a business development and planning perspective. Must be creative with bold concepts, yet realistic from a cost and schedule perspective. Must be comfortable working in a hands-on, highly engaged organizational environment and demonstrate a high degree of flexibility with a strong bias for action.
- Provide Leadership and a passion to train and develop the next generation of leaders.
- Must be a “team player”. However, must also be comfortable in diplomatically confronting issues and be willing to question the “status quo” (as appropriate) with the intention of bringing people together to achieve a win/win outcome. Must be able to achieve consensus.
- Extensive knowledge of financial operations, marketing, estimating, and employee relations required. Excellent organizational, leadership, communication, and analytical skills a necessity.
- Develops business relationships: develops and leverages a wide network of relationships that effectively position Austin to convert opportunities into new business.
- Exceptional leadership skills are mandatory. The personal characteristics of a dynamic, highly motivated, and focused individual with a strong desire to succeed. This executive should have an outgoing, servant-leadership style that will enable him/her to build strong trusting relationships with all levels within Austin and outside the company with customer, joint venture partners and sub-contractors.
- Must have a positive attitude and a high energy level.
- Superior communication skills.
- Must be willing to travel approximately 20%-30% of the time.
We offer excellent benefits including medical insurance, dental insurance, matching 401K, and we are proud to be a 100% Employee Owned Company. To learn more about Austin’s Employee Ownership history, please go to http://www.austin-ind.com/core-values.html.
An Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Austin ("The Company") is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company's policy prohibits discrimination against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age (40 and over), disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. The Company also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. It is also the Company's policy to comply with all federal, state and local laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.
No Agency Inquiries Please.
Austin Industries and all operating divisions (Austin Bridge & Road, Austin Commercial, and Austin Industrial) do not accept unsolicited resumes, candidates’ names or summaries from staffing agencies, search firms, or third-party recruiters. Any unsolicited resumes submitted to Austin Industries, or any of its employee-owners, becomes the property of Austin Industries and Austin Industries will not pay a placement fee.
For more than 50 years, Austin Industrial has provided construction, maintenance, turnaround and plant services to the petrochemical, refining, energy (power and recently ethanol) and manufacturing industries. We support these services with our technical resources including an ISO-modeled QA/QC process; code stamps A, PP, U and R; estimating; planning and scheduling; project controls; and purchasing/subcontracting.