Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
School Administrative Assistant
at Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston
Openings as of 8/22/2019
- School Administrative Assistant (Internal Only) JobID: 249
- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
Inner City Catholic School
- Date Available:
- Closing Date:
Archdiocese of Galveston Houston
ICCS School Office Administrator
Purpose: The full-time School Office Administrator position was created for the purpose of providing integral administrative support to the overall functioning of our growing school; overseeing day-to-day school office activities, monitoring and coordinating assigned activities; relieving the Principal of administrative details. The School Office Administrator position is unique, primarily because of the range of activities handled in an atmosphere of continual interruptions and pressure. Often providing the first impression of the entire organization, the School Office Administrator must be skilled in diplomacy and customer service. Under the supervision of the Principal, the School Office Administrator performs a variety of organizational and secretarial duties, including those of a confidential nature.
Supervisor: This position reports to the Principal.
Performs diverse managerial responsibilities within areas and limits of authority as
delegated by school principal.
Tracks and monitors student attendance, both offline and online, for the purposes of ongoing reporting; communicate with parents when students are absent and provide teachers with updated information on tardy students and students requiring early dismissal.
Coordinate and maintain student files in a variety of electronic and manual formats for the purpose of providing up to date information and reference.
Schedule, update, and maintain school-wide events calendar; maintain and update online school information and school distribution lists.
Process admissions inquires and applications, schedule campus visits, and information meetings, and assist in other outreach. Coordinate and track enrollment and student withdrawals.
Assist in logistics for school-wide events.
Order, receive, and maintain school office supplies, maintain availability of required items, and conduct periodic supply runs in town when needed. Assist in coordinating vendors; assist in scheduling and coordinating general facilities maintenance. Maintain, order, and track the use of all school property keys.
Handles emergencies concerning employees and/or students, making decisions
independently or recommending action as appropriate
Performs a wide variety of secretarial work, including typing/word processing, proof
reading, filing, recording information, and processing and distribution of all correspondence, much of which is of a confidential nature.
Maintains a high degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of the school
Dispenses pertinent information and direction to students, parents, staff, and visitors.
Establishes, maintains and insures proper use of confidential files, which may include student or personnel records
Composes independently or in accordance with general instruction, correspondence on a
wide range of subjects requiring knowledge of procedures and policies of the school and the Archdiocese.
Takes and transcribes dictation (or uses dictation equipment) for letters, memos, and reports including information of a confidential or sensitive nature.
Screens correspondence and telephone calls for administrator and staff. Maintains multiple calendars. Organizes appointments and staff meetings, and makes arrangements for school visitations and facility use.
Exercises diplomacy in answering questions for students, parents, volunteers, public, teachers, or Archdiocesan employees through knowledge of school policies and general rules and regulations.
Performs first aid and cares for injured/ill students, taking responsibility for student welfare in the absence of school nurse or administrator. Dispenses medicine to students according to physician’s orders.
Maintains and retrieves financial records, such as student body accounts, tuition balances, or other school accounts.
Compiles, develops, and designs reports, handbooks, newsletters and special projects from a variety of sources.
The Ideal Candidate Possesses:
· A spirit of service and generosity, sound judgment and maturity, calm attention to detail and accuracy, excellent follow-through and communication skills, and the ability to work independently with others are qualities best suited for this position.
· A passionate belief in our school’s mission, values, and educational model and an enthusiasm for helping children learn and succeed.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· High work standards
· A willingness to be an active, participating member of an innovative, collaborative, and cohesive team of education professionals
Minimum Skills and Qualifications:
· Business telephone etiquette
· Excellent grammar and punctuation and basic math skills
· Ability to create and organize systems and procedures to increase effectiveness and efficiency
· Adept at working with a variety of software applications and high familiarity with Mac and PC platforms
· Experience planning and executing multiple projects and activities simultaneously
· The potential need to upgrade skills may be required in order to meet changing job conditions
· Ability to speak Spanish preferred
Training and Experience:
· High school diploma; Bachelor’s degree preferred
· Supplemented by additional training in office organization and secretarial skills.
· 3-5 years of experience as office manager or executive secretary which has included the exercise of independent judgment, preferably including experience in a school setting.