American Bureau of Shipping
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Business Development Manager
at American Bureau of Shipping
The Business Development Manager individually drives market position and achievement of business outcomes through the Demand and Account Management/Commercial Operations Core Process. This position is the core sales position within the company responsible for new business/clients as well as managing/leveraging existing accounts. The Business Development Manager drives results through individual and collective team sales efforts. The position is responsible for leveraging collaboration with internal teams such as marketing, engineering/survey, and product development and technology groups in order to drive service and business outcomes. The Business Development Manager also contributes to strategic initiatives and planning through an extensive knowledge of market conditions within their assigned specific location or group of locations, country or group of countries, market sector, and/or product(s).
- Execute and drive sales strategies in the assigned area of responsibility and meet or exceed sales and revenue targets.
- Execute the Demand and Account Management / Commercial Operations Core Process as appropriate within the assigned area of responsibility
- Develop and maintain key client relationships with a focus on maintaining current work and expanding new business opportunities and prospect for new clients and business opportunities within your assigned responsibility.
- Lead the development of visit plans for assigned clients and area of responsibility, to include organizing client meetings for ABS senior management
- Maintains awareness of the overall ABS service portfolio and promote services/products when appropriate, ensuring peers and teams outside your core responsibility are aware of potential opportunities and needed action
- Work with organizational teams to develop capture strategies, proposals and pricing as appropriate
- Work with technical staff and other internal teams as needed to meet customer needs.
- Provide strategic insight within the assigned area or responsibility related to future business initiatives, market drivers, and competitor activities for inclusion in business planning
- Attend industry events and conferences, and provide feedback and information on market and creative trends.
- Support the Product & Digital Solution Development, Survey & Certification, Engineering Delivery, and Rule Development Core Processes as needed to achieve organizational business outcomes.
- Identify opportunities for marketing campaigns within the area of responsibility that will lead to increased sales.
- Submit reports as needed and ensure data is accurately entered and managed within the company's CRM
- Forecast sales targets and track activity on accounts to meet these targets
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required (KSAR)
- Demonstrated acumen for sales, business development, and account management with experience in meeting and/or exceeding sales targets preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in developing strategic customer relationships.
- Strong leadership presence and the ability to quickly establish and build credibility and relationships, externally as well as internally to ABS
- Excellent business judgment, including the ability to assess the reasonableness and likelihood of success of various business scenarios
- Demonstrated technical acumen related to the product or area of responsibility
- A self-starter with a demonstrated desire achieve goals and as well as a collaborative personality who effectively works with teams and individuals to achieve organizational business outcomes
- Strong commitment to ethical business practices, in full accordance with relevant corporate policies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of the ABS Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental Management System.
Minimum years of Experience
- Typically 5 or more years of experience in the assigned area of responsibility or market sector is required
- International experience, either as an expatriate or working with international projects and teams, is required
- Previous experience in business development or sales in a technical and diverse product environment is preferred
Required/Preferred Education Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in business or in an engineering technical field is required
- Non-degreed professionals may be considered pending level of experience and business requirements
- MBA or engineering postgraduate degree is preferred
Typically reports to a Regional Business Development Leader. May report directly to another level (i.e. Global Business Development or Market Sector) based on business requirements.
Typically an individual contributor role, but may supervise administrative support or small project teams as needed.
This job description is not intended, and should not be construed, to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job of the incumbent. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the principal job elements essential for making a fair decision regarding the pay structure of the job.
Work is primarily in a professional office setting with possible field revisits to field sites (i.e shipyards, field offices, etc.) as required. Position may require significant travel domestically or internationally. Position will requ