The Director, Payroll leads the delivery of all payroll services for ABM employees. This primarily includes: Management of internal and external company processes as they relate to payroll, including the development of vendor management. Ensuring operational performance with a continuous improvement mindset related to payroll, time administration, tax filings, tax and payroll audits, garnishment processing, and general ledger postings. Leading a team of 40+ payroll specialists in an HR Shared Services environment. Ensuring adherence to all Federal, State, and Local regulations governing employee/employer tax and pay practices; as well as any applicable Company policies and financial audit requirements. Acting as the Payroll workstream lead cross functional projects, such as mergers, acquisitions, and divestures. Partnering with key stakeholders including HR, Benefits and Compensation, Legal, Finance, and other functional support areas on policy changes and process improvements.
Manage Internal Company Processes & Policies
- Manages the production teams work schedule against daily, weekly and monthly deadlines to meet and maintain Payroll production schedule for all US and Puerto Rico based employee payrolls including FLSA exempt, non-exempt, union, interns, and executives.
- Ensures Year-End collection of adjustments/miscellaneous reportable income are sent for processing Validate completion and provide final approval for issuance of annual W-2s, W-2PRs, as well as W-2Cs and W-2PRs complying with all IRS regulations.
- Directly interfaces to ensure that HR/Payroll data is provided accurately and efficiently.
- Provides direction for mergers and divestures internally to Payroll team and vendors for coordination of payroll, taxes, and garnishments.
- Supports Payroll Tax Specialist and assists in researching special payments, taxation, and any State and/or Local Audits. Interacts with internal Tax team and state governments as appropriate.
- Oversees Payroll Garnishment processing.
- Resolves escalated issues from employees, former employees, and regulatory agencies on an as needed basis.
Monitor Internal Controls
- Ensures execution of all key internal controls; supports all internal and external audits.
- Monitors internal operations and performance as it relates to compliance, contractual agreements, and service quality to the company and its employees.
- Monitors internal controls to verify that input and processing of all payroll data including applicable wage taxes and other miscellaneous wage/benefit programs, calculations, taxes and deductions meet expectations, in conjunction with best practices.
- Ensures adequate segregation of duties and/or mitigating controls are always in place.
- Ensures creation and review of audit and management reports at the appropriate time in accordance with the production schedule.
- Participates in company meetings for the development and ongoing administration of payroll, provides documentation on issues and works collaboratively with third-party vendors and internal company divisions toward timely resolution.
- Ensures internal controls are established related to HR/payroll employee master records and employee time files, and that these controls are maintained and monitored on a continuing basis, whether internally-initiated or vendor initiated.
- Researches, investigates and reports all problems, corrections, and changes related to payroll programs; responds to related inquiries and escalations in a timely manner.
- Owns and maintains Payroll Standard Operating Procedures.
Oversee Internal Retained Team Performance
- Manages priorities and evaluates staff fulfilling the retained payroll activities applicable to an outsourced environment.
- Oversees internal payroll team by ensuring that controls and evaluation measures are established and occur consistently.
- Motivates individuals under his/her direction to take personal responsibility for successful payroll delivery in partnership with other teams.
Directs Ongoing Process Improvements
- Facilitates development of process improvements that impact the administration of payroll in an outsourced model.
- Provides recommendations on changes to policy, procedures or rules that influence or affect the administration of payroll and communicates recommendations and business decisions as appropriate.
- Works on system changes, updates, and/or additions to any current processes, to include areas of processing, Team Member Services impact and updates to the Knowledgebase.