Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATION PROGRAM MANAGER
at Air Products
Job Description and Qualifications
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases, has an immediate opening for a Environmental Regulation Program Manager.
The position is responsible for defining and executing our Greenhouse Gas (GHG) compliance strategy for North America. The Environmental Regulation Program Manager is responsible for defining the impact to Air Products and its customers of the ongoing proposed changes to GHG regulation in the USA and Canada and ensuring systems and work processes are defined in advance of any regulation or change in regulation to ensure full compliance. The Environmental Regulation Program Manager is also accountable to ensure that our work processes are tested and validated to ensure accurate and timely compliance and where necessary more robust work processes are proactively developed and implemented. This position is accountable to ensure all work process are properly documented with adequate change management controls in place. This position is responsible for our strategy of engaging with government entities during the proposal and comment phase of new GHG regulations. This will be done in partnership with our Government Relations office and the Business Leaders.
This position will be accountable to work closely with the business operations managers, Procurement, Environmental Manager as well as the Industrial Gases (IG) Americas EHS director to ensure that cost effective solutions and work processes are in place to maintain Air products position in the marketplace.
- Ensure compliance to country and state GHG environmental laws and regulations.
- Lead development of tools, training, programs, and resources, to ensure compliance and protection of the environment.
- Develop and implement GHG strategies needed to protect and grow business portfolios.
- Partner with client and stakeholder organizations to implement the most cost effective and business friendly solution to GHG related issues. Key stakeholders often include Commercial Managers, Law, Government Relations, Engineering, Operations, Executive Leadership, and governmental agencies.
- Provide an issue management structure and process in the region, identifying and assessing the impact of emerging environmental GHG regulation to Air Products operations by country and state/province.
- Develop the GHG reporting compliance expertise of our environmental staff, through assignments, coaching and training, to insure current and future bench strength in this critical skill area for the HyCO business.
- Develop the functional competency of the environmental staff to adequately understand GHG regulation and the needed implementation requirements. Address the ongoing GHG compliance reporting, support needs of our businesses.
- Lead corporate interactions with governmental agencies and industry associations that plan and manage common GHG interests and develop cost effective solutions to industry issues.
- Ensure robust work process are in place for the purchase of credits, allocation of credits and receiving of credits and the strategy and system to manage these instruments.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Broad and extensive GHG compliance reporting, managing credits and allocations, experience in multiple U.S. states especially California, and preferably in Canada at the Federal and province level.
- Work experience in a large, multi-cultural, corporate setting.
- 5+ years’ experience in a GHG compliance and regulatory engagement role. Understanding of the design and operation of large-scale chemical processes, particularly combustion (i.e. cogeneration). Specific expertise including industrial hydrogen production processes, as well as their underlying process chemistry is a plus. Be particularly familiar with the sources of, and design/operating aspects that influence, emissions of GHG.
- Understanding of the typical process monitoring methods and equipment (their capabilities and their limitations) required to satisfy GHG emission reporting requirements.
- Understanding alternative commercial models and the impact of alternative regulatory strategies on those business models.
- Ability to understand and advise on commercial contract terms as they relate to managing current and future compliance cost recovery resulting from GHG regulations.
- Understanding of alternative GHG emission regulatory approaches, around the world (i.e. carbon taxes, production allocation systems, cap & trade, etc.), their strengths and weaknesses, and how they might apply to Air Products businesses interests.
- Ability to identify the underlying regulatory objectives and develop alternative strategies that can achieve both the regulatory objectives while protecting Air Products business interests.
- Excellent presentation, one-on-one interpersonal and negotiations skills. The ability to think on your feet and apply the power of persuasion. The ability to sell your “better” alternative to regulators.
- Ability to reduce complex technical and regulatory elements into language common to regulators unfamiliar with our technology, internal business team members, external customers, elected officials and appointed senior bureaucrats.
- Strong project management skills, as well as a systems and work process orientation.
- Strong communication and influence skills, and effective at interfacing with stakeholders at all levels, including direct negotiation with authorizing agencies.
- Strong delegation skills.
- Experience with root cause analysis, best practices and continuous improvement.
- Engaging leadership style, promoting the involvement of employees in a safe-to-say work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (chemical engineering preferred) or environmental science, or a related field of study. An advanced degree in engineering, environmental science and/or law is desirable. MBA is helpful.
- Extensive experience reading and applying GHG regulations to process industries
- Experience representing industry to staff and senior management of regulatory agencies, government ministries and elected officials and their staff. Creating, leading and contributing to industry group advocacy collaborations.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview, or are currently employed by Air Products, will be contacted.
To learn more, visit About Air Products
Air Products is an Equal Opportunity Employer (U.S.) All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, citizenship, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or veteran status.
ENVIRONMENTAL REGULATION PROGRAM MANAGER
North America - Exempt
Type of Relocation Benefits Provided
Business Sector / Division